(Download job description as PDF)
INTERN OPPORTUNITY: MUSIC
Event Marketing and Promotion
Are you a student looking for an unpaid internship in the music industry? We’d love to hear from you. We’re the Salem Jazz and Soul Festival, a
group of fun, music-loving people on the North Shore looking for a few kindred spirits to help us produce our annual music series. Currently in our
sixth year of operation, our music series draw thousands of people and has featured headliners like Big Sam’s Funky Nation, Club d’Elf, Miss Tess,
Charles Neville and more. Not only is this a fun job involving cool music, it’s a great opportunity to build your resume and develop references for your
job search when you graduate!
Assist with a variety of marketing, PR and production-related tasks such as:
• Street team coordination and support (distribution of flyers in local venues, well trafficked areas on the North Shore, etc.).
• Finding new and updating existing online sources to promote the festival’s events (boston.com, going.com, etc.).
• Conducting research and building a list of media contacts (identify local radio personalities, journalists, bloggers who focus on music and/or
festivals relevant to SJSF).
• Special projects as needed including helping us set-up at events.
- We’re pretty flexible on exact hours, but seeking a total of 5-10 hours/week of help.
- You’ll work from home and periodically attend meetings in the evenings in Salem.
- Ideally you’re a Junior, Senior or Graduate Student in Marketing, Communications, Entertainment, Music, or Business (but we’re open to all majors).
- Comfortable doing research on the internet; bonus – strong knowledge of social media.
- Willingness and desire to learn, positive attitude.
- Excellent written, creative, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Detailed-oriented, great multi-tasker, and organized.
To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Michelle Desaulniers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Salem Jazz and Soul Festival
Our Mission: The Salem Jazz and Soul Festival is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that produces free concerts for the public and raises money to
support music education programs.
Producing free concerts for the public: At the center of SJSF is the tenet that communities unite through the rich experience music provides. Since its
founding in 2007, SJSF has accomplished just that by reaching thousands of adults and children through the highly popular SJSF/Berklee Summer
Series and SJSF’s main festival event at the Salem Willows, and by raising $25,000 in funds for music education programs in local schools and youth
Supporting Music Education Programs: In addition to allowing us to produce free music events for the public, proceeds from the festival benefit music
education programs in school and youth programs. This year, in addition to making donations to programs in Salem, our reach has expanded to
support music education programs in other North Shore communities. This year's beneficiaries include music programs at Salem High School, the
Lynn Public Schools system and the North Shore Recovery High School in Beverly. This is the first year we've made contributions outside of Salem...
and we're proud to say....we're growing! This brings our 6-year total of funds raised for music education programs to $25,000.